WoK MFL Student Work

MFL Hall of Fame

MFL Blog Roll

See below for examples of students' work, reviews of exchange trips and general MFL announcements:...

Thursday 9 July 2009

Project 1: Avatars - Student Reviews

By using the avatar Voki to create a person who speaks French and is set at my school helped me learn new skills in ICT. I now know how to set up my own avatar on a website quickly and easily. I have also learnt how to record my own voice into a small sound clip and upload it to a computer, and then upload that file onto my website as well as a photo of the school too.

The Voki website is useful for students, as you learn new ICT skills for avatars, and can listen to your accent and learn how to pronounce the words correctly.

Becky Yr 10



We created voki’s about our school by using photos of its surroundings such as the foyer, the canteen and the school field, so that they can be used by year 6 pupils to enable an understanding of the feel of the school. As with any new technology we had our issues, for example whilst trying to upload photos to set as our background, it took a while and would not always work.

By using avatars it created a fun tool for learning and incorporated the use of ICT, blogs etc, safely. By creating voki’s it can allow students to become more confident whilst speaking.

Katrina Yr 10

I had never created an Avatar before this and so was unsure what to expect, however I soon found creating Voki’s fun and a good way to improve my French- especially speaking as I could record myself and hear my fluency and pronunciation.

Sometimes the software was difficult to use as it did not always log on or upload backgrounds/sound files correctly. I found this tool useful for student learning as we had never done anything like this before, however it was prone to software difficulties. It was useful for the teacher as they can hear pupil’s pronunciation in the language and how they are in ICT. The software would be useful in other subjects – mainly languages as it would improve the pupils’ language skills.

Laura Yr10



I have never used Voki.com before so was a new experience for me, which I enjoyed greatly. It was useful for student learning because recording my French paragraph helped me improve and practise my French and it also helped me recap the school topic. It is also useful for the teacher because they can listen to my French accent and can watch the progess in my accent. This site would also be useful in art because you could upload your painting/work and talk about it etc It would also be helpful in ICT to help with your IT skills.

Helen Yr 10



Before using Voki.com I did not have an account before. I found using Voki very safe and friendly to use and also fairly easy. Using Voki is useful for student learning because you had the opportunity to speak French after the exam. It is a useful tool for the teacher as it involves the pupils to speak French. For languages Voki is useful and people got to improve the pronunciation of the French words. This website would be useful in other subject, such as Spanish and Japanese. Overall I enjoyed using Voki.

Suzi Yr 10




Using the Web 2.0 tool was user friendly because it was fairly easy to use.
Using the Easy Speak microphones were good because we could record our voices and then the teacher could say on what we could improve on with our accents, and the microphones were easy and effective to use. The teacher can monitor the progress that is being made too. We can practice our accents and our writing skills using the Voki’s and it was quite fun making them into avatars of ourselves. It can be useful for learning in other subjects such as ICT – to practice with technology, Humanities – for research into the subject.

Lucia Yr 10



Using the web tools was easy but it helped that other people already had experience with them. It is useful for what we used it for but I don’t see how vokis could be incorporated into everyday lessons, but something similar would be useful for the other departments too. Another way in which they could be used is in ICT lessons to learn about blogs and avatars. They helped improve our accents and French writing, and would be useful for language teachers to use for this purpose.

Sophie Yr 10



I have never used an account like this before but now that I have I found it very fun. It was use friendly as it was clearly set out with clear instructions. I think it is a good idea for student learning as it can let students from other schools or primary schools look at what are school looks like through the backgrounds and they can hear our opinions on the school. It is useful for teachers as it is a fun way to engage students with talking about the school. I think it is useful for languages because it’s a fun way to speak and present different languages. It could also be used in many other subjects such as English where people could talk about recent books that they have read in class with a picture of the book in the background. It could also be used to show other students what they have been doing in Drama.

Sasha Yr 10



[Read Harri's review on the previous post below...]

Harri Yr 10



I have enjoyed using the Voki’s, as they are fun to use and was a different way to use our knowledge of French. I think that they would be useful for younger students who have just started learning the language, as it is an interesting way to learn and it encourages them to use what they are learning.

Vickie Yr 10

I have enjoyed learning about the Voki’s and new forms of ICT I hadn’t heard about it, because they were a fun way of learning and allowed us to continue to use our French even after the exam. I think the Blog and Voki’s will be useful for year 6 students wanting to learn about Weald of Kent languages. It also presents interesting ways in which we learn and work within school.

Alexandra Yr 10

I found the Voki project very enjoyable and useful for our language and confidence skills. Recording our own scripts and characters gave us freedom and helped us with useful French school vocabulary. I really liked using this software as it was easy to use and good for student learning. This was also easy for teachers as it kept us busy and was not complicated. However, I think that this software is best used for languages as it may be too easy to create Vokis in other subjects.

Maddy Yr 10

No comments:

Post a Comment