WoK MFL Student Work

MFL Hall of Fame

MFL Blog Roll

See below for examples of students' work, reviews of exchange trips and general MFL announcements:...

Thursday 4 November 2010

Languages in Exciting Future Career Choice

Below is a write up by Abigail, one of our year 13 English Literature students, who is applying to do a Linguistics degree for her future career choices. This highlights cross curricular links between English and Modern Foreign Languages and the place that they both hold in an exciting career choice. Enjoy!

I have always had a fascination with language and have been interested in how it works and is pieced together. Studying English Language at A Level has made me want to pursue with this into further education. However I have been looking at courses in linguistics. This will mean I am analysing language and looking at how it works, it is the science of language. There is an opportunity to choose some Modern Foreign Languages as modules as this helps when analysing texts in such intricate detail.
In some of the courses I have chosen at university there is a chance to study Forensic Linguistics as a module. This is what I have a true passion for and wish to go into after I finish my degree.

Forensic Linguistics is analysing language for the police. When text messages, emails or letters are involved they can be analysed in order to discover more about the crime being investigated. Also using forensic phonetics, interviews with suspects can be analysed in great detail to help in the same way. This is a fairly new branch of police investigation and has enhanced the ways in which they can solve crime. I am currently carrying out an EPQ on the topic so that I can make sure that it is something that I really do want to do as a career but also so that universities can see that I have a real interest in language outside my core A Level study.

No comments:

Post a Comment